9.11.2008

For Jan Williamson



18th Street
21.2 x 29 cm
acrylic on paper
sue-ching you © 2008

Jan has been working at the 18th Street Arts Center for 14-15 years. We went to Tacos Por Favors this afternoon. I asked her to participate my project. Surely I could have picked someone more distance than the staff from the Center. But I think the distance from Taipei to Santa Monica is long enough, isn't it?

Jan asked me to paint either a favorite street corner here or a plant that I have never seen in Taiwan. She is going to send the painting to a friend of her in Minnesota. Before Jan works at the Center, they were colleagues and became close friends. Now her friend is one of the donors of the Center. Jan told me that the painting would be a nice gift to thank to her support.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sue-Ching,
I'm glad that you picked this little stretch of sidewalk in Santa Monica to paint from my friend Rachel. Somehow this image will connect all three of us for years to come. I liked the feeling of being asked to gift one of your paintings to someone I choose. The person I choose came to mind right away, because she is such a giving, generous person that the idea of passing on your painting to her felt joyful immediately. Thank you!