9.17.2008

For Jean Jou



Father
22 x 31 cm
acrylic on paper
sue-ching you © 2008

Jean lives at the east side of LA. She picked me up on Moon Festival, and I spent a couple days with her and her family. She was my English teacher when I was a high school student in Taiwan.

She asks me to paint "father", and it is going to be a gift for her son. Suddenly, I feel a great resposibility for the painting.

"Father" is the word or figure that has been had a great influence on expression and expectation in family, career, personality, and society, etc...Lee Ang, the director of Lust, Caution, now is a well known figure worldwide. Quote from Taipei Times, "Years of hard work have earned Ang Lee international fame. But, perhaps, the ultimate validation came from his father, who, on his death bed, told his son to keep on doing what he loves without fear."

This painting is scheduled to be finished on November 27.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very touched.

Anonymous said...

Mother's comments:
Thank you, Sue-Ching. Roy loves it. He said it is adorable. It gives him a warm feeling.

Roy's comments:
You can also add sidewalk lines so it can look like a real sidewalk.

Maybe you also could add a nose and mouth to the boy's face to make him look realistic.

Again, my sincere thanks for the drawing.

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Anonymous said...

You are a great artist.

Love,
Roy