9.22.2008

For Vedran Perkov



Unlimited Love
29 x 21 cm
acrylic on paper
sue-ching you © 2008

Vedran, James, and I, I call us- Gang from the 18th Street International Studio. Vedrean, sky without any clouds, is from Croatia.

He grew up in Split and for vocation, he often goes to Zlarin, an island with a population of 276 in the winter time. His mom helps people with Chinese medicine and herbs. His family grows olive trees for the oil and vine yard for the wine. Everyone on the island knows him as a designer for the sport competition T-shirt and an artist. In my opinion, he is also like an art historian, movie critique, music guide, and most of all, he is our super GPS to wherever we go.

He is a thinker, and it reflects on his works. Those instant monuments, luxury beds, game machines, etc...are simple presentations of installations, but when you look and read closer, something further and beyond of those simple presentations will gradually reveal layers by layers or just hit you with a great surprise. Penalty Kicks is the piece has been on my mind lately.

Vedran is leaving on 9/30. I was thinking about just giving him a painting as a farewell gift, but I decided to ask him to participate this project.

Today (9/24), he told me to paint "unlimited". He thinks anything is possible in life, and he asks me to paint without any boundary. He is going to give the painting to his niece, a lady whom has been through a lot of rough time in life. To him, she is more than just a niece; They understand each other very well, and one of her daughters is his favorite. "You can paint it all blue"-I agree that blue sky = unlimited space, but I want more than that.

I wrote a poem called Unlimited Love together as a package to Vedran. Here I will only show you a section of my writing.

"Unlimited love, unlimited life
Limited love, limited life
Light is life
Love is never light"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sue! i like this one best. i find an imaginative feel from childhood when i look at this one. i hope your stay in santa monica is amazing!